title pic

title pic

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

What the Helena!

Gotta be going.  6 A.M. and we are out the condo door in Dillon, heading to the starting line in Banff.  Closing the hatch on the back of the car, we’ve added to our gross vehicle weight…Greg, his meager supplies for a month on the trail, and his bike of course.  Greg embraces his wife Susie one more time, before turning him over to the Canadian wildlife authoritiessome 53 species of mammals including wolves, cougars, and grizzlies (every story needs an antagonist or three).  As long as he is not the slowest, he’ll be fine!

A hug to last a month.
On the eight hundred seventy something miles we covered to Montana from Colorado, I spent some time in the company of Albert and Stephen (Einstein and Hawking)…in my mind of course.  You see, as we were traveling, mainly in Wyoming, the farther from civilization we were (was not hard to do), the longer a mile became.  And the longer a mile became, the longer time took.  For example:  As we were traveling down a somewhat barren two lane highway in the middle of nowhere (no offense Wyoming), I would notice signage with the next few towns listed and how many miles it was to them, the ones we’ve all seen I’m sure.  So let’s say I see we have 36 miles to Ulm.  I look at the odometer and the clock to get a reference on space and time, as we hurtle toward Ulm.  After what seems like an eternity, we pass another sign, but only a few miles have clicked away in what seems like a great amount of time (and I tend to push the speed limit a bit).  So I start thinking that Al and Steve could have thought out of the box a bit more.  Forget the singularity theorems and black holes, Brownian motion and relativity; let’s get to the bottom of time travel in wide-open spaces.  It’s like running in molasses.  But maybe the rest of this story will help.

The last few days before leaving Dillon, I was on Google Maps, checking times and distances to determine when we should leave and so on…it’s an Einstein/Hawking thing.  So as we travel, we see beautiful landscapes and picturesque little towns as the day wears on and at some point I begin to wonder when we will get into our hotel for the night.  It seems as though the closer we get the farther away it is.  Was that part of one of Einstein’s therories…I don’t know, I lose track.  Well, we finally see signs for Helena, Mt. – Yea!  The miles tick away and we pull into the outskirts of Helena and I ask Beth to pull out the reservation form for the directions to the hotel.  We pass signs with Helena this and Helena that and Beth says, “Uhhhhhhhh…..I don’t see a reservation for Helena, but we do have one for Great Falls.”  At that point I felt as though I had been driving on a treadmill.  Greg whips out the atlas and see that Great Falls is a half a page away from Helena…another hours drive, at least!

As I began to drowned in my incompetency as a road captain, cooler heads prevail and Greg suggests that we see if there is another Days Inn in Helena and if we could just swap out our reservations from one city to another.  Brilliant!  Right?  Beth gets on the horn and calls, explains the situation, and our hopes ride high until the girl on the other end of the phone says, “No.”  That’s all.  “No.”  Either she has no conscience or customer service skills or both.  It was like ripping a band aide off, she just wanted to make it as painless as possible.  I say she failed to stop texting during the 5-minute customer service training she was obligated to listen to before being turned loose on the public.  Where’s the, “Oh, I wish there was something I could do for you.” or “Let me talk to my manager, maybe we can work something out.”  Nope, just a “No.”

With water under the bridge we head to the highway, to Great Falls we go.  Eventually we see the sign for Ulm, 36 miles.  The name gets stuck in my head and the more I say Ulm, the more meditative state I slip into.  Ulmmmmm, Ulmmmm, Ulmmmm…  I am focused until it sounds like a soft rain begins to hit the windshield.

That soft rain is actually hundreds, if not thousands of bugs, going splat on the windshield, as we make our way farther to the north.  It would have been easier to see if it were a blinding rainstorm. With a scarily high percentage of the windshield un-see-able, we press on.  By the time we see our hotel, the bugs on the front bumper and car top carrier have the appearance of being wrapped in a harry wool blanket.  A quick stop at a nearby carwash let’s us get the majority of the fuzz off and 16 hours after leaving Dillon, we check in for the night…what’s left of it.  What the Helena!


My Zen from the road:   Besides making an epic bike ride, border to border, Greg is using this platform to raise awareness for PTSD.  He is seeking donations for the Pedal Against PTSD charity.  100% of monies received by this organization goes to providing bikes to veterans.  Pedal Against PTSD's goal is to empower veterans to overcome PTSD through cycling and to raise awareness to struggles of post-traumatic stress disorder.  Check out Greg's GoFundMe page...(the link is kinda long, but it works!  Click on it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment